Monday, April 28, 2014

11th Review of 'The Igbos And Israel....' on Amazon....got me transfixed... http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1Q6K6M2Q7EJDO/ref=pdp_new_read_full_review_link?ie=UTF8&page=1&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R1AY8SJYP9SSBT

11th Review of 'The Igbos And Israel....' on Amazon....got me transfixed...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1Q6K6M2Q7EJDO/ref=pdp_new_read_full_review_link?ie=UTF8&page=1&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R1AY8SJYP9SSBT
>
>
>
>         Reviews Written by
> PDVR RSS Feed
> Show:
>         Page: 1
> pixel
>
> The Igbos and Israel: An Inter-Cultural Study of the Largest Jewish
> Diaspora
>
> The Igbos and Israel: An Inter-Cultural Study of the Largest Jewish
> Diaspora
> by Remy Ilona
>
> 5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating topic, fascinating author, fascinating
> people!, April 28, 2014
> Verified Purchase(What's this?)
>
> This review is from: The Igbos and Israel: An Inter-Cultural Study of
> the Largest Jewish Diaspora (Paperback)
>
> I find the topic of 'galut' (exile, diaspora if you prefer the Greek
> word for it) to the four corners of the planet to be of continuing
> interest. And to the middle of Africa (southern Nigeria, in this case)
> to be most intriguing. I met the author, online of course, and now
> consider him both my friend and, literally, my brother. When I read
> the previous version of this book, as an eBook, I teased my brother
> about writing as if he were an anthropologist. No, he's not and this
> book isn't an antho textbook. I was just kidding. But there is
> extraordinary research and respect and care clearly in evidence
> throughout The Igbos and Israel.
>
> Have I noticed any limitations? I don't say 'criticisms' because I can
> see the how and the why. I can see how it's virtually impossible for
> someone in the middle of Africa to obtain access to a broad range of
> reference material at the highest level. The author's research into
> recent and ancient Igbo ritual and practice seems primarily from the
> perspective of what we might call 'Omenana she'ba'al peh.' (I said
> 'sort of.') And his research on the Jewish and Biblical side of things
> is sort of from the perspective of 'Torah she'bichtav.' I said 'sort
> of' again. (If those two concepts don't ring a bell, don't worry about
> it right now.) Even with such 'challenges' which are likely to be
> temporary, The Igbos and Israel is a wonderful voyage across millenia
> and miles and continents.
>
> If you are Jewish, if you're Igbo, if you're African-American and just
> might have some Igbo ancestry, or if your ancestors are from
> somewhere...anywhere... else you may be stunned and delighted at what
> you'll learn. Read the book!!
> Hinei mah tov u'mah naim, shevet ACHIM gam yachad! It's my honor and
> privilege and pleasure to write these few words about this wonderful
> book.
>
> אברהם ווען ריפער / Avraham Van Riper / Albuquerque, NM
> Comment Comment | Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment